Outbrain is a new adware currently infecting many computers connected to the Internet today. It is responsible for displaying different intrusive advertisements marked as “Recommended by Outbrain” or “Outbrain Ads“.
Quick facts about Outbrain adware.
What happens with your browser when Outbrain adware is enabled?
Presence of Outbrain adware with its many intrusive advertisements in your browser surely isn’t a favorable sign for its security. We definitely believe that immediate removal of this adware is what you should implement right away.
First of all, let us understand why exactly Outbrain adware is malicious. In the first place, it causes unwanted redirections of your browsers to random third-party websites. We’ve seen that very often the adware may lead the browser to many illegal places, either engaged in spreading filthy information, or dedicated to distribution of other malicious or potentially unwanted applications.
Ads by Outbrain generally don’t display any genuine information which would be worth paying attention to. These advertisements have the only thing in mind – to generate profit for the people who stand behind it. When you make clicks on these ads or purchase anything through them, the crooks who distribute this adware get their profit.
What caused Outbrain adware and its advertisements to be enabled in your browser?
The main reason why Outbrain Ads got injected into browser is because of poor protection of your computer with decent security software. It is quite likely that the adware was brought along with other free software you might have installed lately, whereas your current anti-virus failed to perform its direct function of protecting your system in a proper manner.
Tips to avoid Outbrain adware intrusion.
Outbrain adware doesn’t do any single good thing for your system. You will notice that the PC infected by Outbrain adware functions extremely slow due to high CPU usage and consumption of many system resources. As a result, your computer may even freeze from time to time. We therefore recommend you to follow the guidelines set forth below to completely get rid of this disgusting program from your system. Also, you will find the way to prevent all further possible adware installations into your system.
Detailed Outbrain adware removal instructions.
STEP 1. Scanning your computer with anti-malware software for Outbrain adware detection.
Follow recommended software installation steps in the slider below:
Detailed steps to remove Outbrain adware using recommended anti-malware.
- Download anti-malware by clicking on the respective button above.
- Install the program and launch the application.
- Wait until the software gets duly updated.
- Run scanning with the software for Outbrain adware detection.
- Remove detected malicious items with registered version of the software.
- Restart your PC.
- Repeat scanning with the anti-malware tool.
- Follow additional tips below to repair your browser infected by Outbrain advertisements.
STEP 2. Removing Outbrain adware from Google Chrome browser.
- In Google Chrome, click on its “Settings” button in the form of three vertical dots, then select “Settings“:
- Select “Extensions” in the left part of the window. Uncheck suspicious extension, then click on the Trash icon next to it.
- NOTE. Final optional steps. Use these steps only if the above-mentioned methods to remove Outbrain advertisements from Google Chrome did not help. When in Google Chrome settings mode, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Show advanced settings“:
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Reset settings” button:
- In the pop-up window, click on “Reset“:
STEP 3. Remove Outbrain adware from Mozilla Firefox browser.
- In Mozilla Firefox, click on the icon that looks in the form of three horizontal lines in the upper-right section of the browser window. Click on “Add-ons“:
- Click on the “Extensions” tab in the left part of the windows. Check suspicious extensions. If you identify them, click on “Disable“, then on “Remove“:
- NOTE. Final optional steps. Use these steps only if the above-mentioned methods to remove Outbrain adware from Mozilla Firefox did not help. Click on the icon that looks in the form of three horizontal lines in the upper-right section of Mozilla Firefox and select the question-mark icon at the bottom of the drop-down menu:
- Click on “Troubleshooting information” in the slide-out menu:
- Select the “Refresh Firefox” button at the top right of the new web page:
- Finally, click on “Refresh Firefox” again to confirm the action.
STEP 4. Remove Outbrain advertisements from Internet Explorer browser.
- Click on Internet Explorer settings icon in the upper-right part of the browser in the form of a gear-wheel. Select “Manage add-ons“:
- Find suspicious toolbar or extension. Click on it (make it highlighted). Then click on “Disable” button related to this particular toolbar or extension.
- NOTE. Final optional steps. Use these steps only if the above-mentioned methods to remove Outbrain advertisements from Internet Explorer did not help. Click on Internet Explorer settings icon in the upper-right part of the browser in the form of a gear-wheel. Select “Internet Options“.
- Select “Advanced” tab, then click on “Reset“:
- Select appropriate reset options, then click on “Reset“:
STEP 5. Remove Outbrain advertisements from Opera browser.
- Click on “Opera” menu in the upper-right part of the browser. Select “Extensions“, then click on “Manage extensions“:
- If you find anything suspicious, disable and delete it.
STEP 6. (optional) Removing malware from Safari in Mac OS X.
To clean Safari browser please follow this guide.